Every property whether residential, commercial, or industrial uses some type of pavement material for its driveways or parking lots.
But so very often property owners overlook the benefits and features of the different types of pavement materials.
Most often they will opt for a quicker and less expensive paving material or methods such as gravel or aggregate paving for their driveways or parking lots.
This type of residential driveway paving material may seem a cheaper option initially, but it can be much more expensive to maintain in the long run.
Traffic and weather conditions can cause it to deteriorate and make it uninviting and even unserviceable. When a property owner is looking for a durable, smooth, and easier-to-maintain paving material, asphalt paving should be on the top of the list.
Benefits of Paving Driveways with Asphalt
Fast and Easy to Construct
When it comes time to repair, resurface or seal a residential asphalt driveway, property owners would want a quick and well-built project. This is one of the best benefits of choosing asphalt. A typical residential asphalt project would take two to three days to complete and ready for traffic quickly.
A Smart Property Investment
A cracked and poorly maintained driveway can make the property look uninviting. It is the first thing visitors see as they enter the premises. A well-constructed asphalt driveway can give the property owner peace of mind many years of beautiful, smooth, and easy to maintain the driveway.
Increase Property Value
As mentioned earlier, a well-installed asphalt driveway offers great curb appeal that property owners and visitors can appreciate. Additionally, it will add more value to the property.
As with any type of paving material, weather, traffic, and time can cause fissures, and cracks in asphalt.
These types of damages are relatively easy and affordable to repair.
The property owner can seek the help of a local asphalt paving company to apply crack seal or sealcoat to the entire driveway.
Tips for Finding the Best Asphalt Contractor for Residential Driveways
- Look for contractors near the property. It is preferable to work with a local contractor that has a positive reputation in the local area.
- Interview several paving companies and insist on a written estimate. Focus on the minimum thickness, expected lifespan, and other details mentioned by the contractor.
- Working with a reliable local contractor is beneficial to the property owner and the contractor. It reduces equipment transport costs and materials, and the project may be completed sooner.
- The property owner can visit the past paving projects completed by the local contractor and talk to property owners to know about their experience during and after the project.
- Have a written contract including the terms agreed by both parties.
Asphalt Driveway Special Considerations
If the property owner is not experienced with what is involved in residential asphalt driveway paving, they may miss some important details. Here are some aspects worth focusing on:
- Minimum Width- 8-10ft (single-car driveway), 20ft (2-car driveway)
- Thickness- DCBR >10 (subgrade) and 3.0” (Base and Surface)
- Subgrade- DCBR >10 (best subgrade)
- Base- SM-12.5/IM-19.0
- Surface – SM-9.5. The asphalt top layer should be at least 1.5”.
- Sealing- Mineral grit is an excellent sealer material for asphalt driveways. It seals minor cracks, improves the texture of the surface, and enriches the beauty of the driveway.
If you are a property owner or manager and in the need of a local asphalt paving company near you, you may do a search in our paving directory. We offer a list of experienced local asphalt paving companies that are eager to help you.